ORGANIZATION CHART OF CENTRE FOR DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
About Centre of Design and Development (C-D&D):
- Centre of Design and Development (C-D&D) was set up in year 1993-94 to assimilate the ToT (transfer of technology) of 3-phase locomotives and enable indigenous production. This has culminated in series production of 3-phase locomotive (WAG-9, WAP-5) at CLW and reduction in cost of locomotives. By suitable software adaptation, new variants of 3-phase locomotive WAP-7, WAG-9H have also been developed
- The technology obtained through ToT was of 1980-1990 vintage and over the years locomotive technology world over has progressed further due to developments in power electronics and microprocessor technologies. This resulted in obsolescence of electronic components. The software also requires continuous upgradation / modifications for enhancing the availability/ reliability of 3-phase locomotives.
- Therefore, C-D&D is presently engaged in forecasting the future technology and managing obsolescence of the present hardware system as also upgrading the drive system with new technology. As a result many technology upgradation projects like IGBT based power/auxiliary converters, open control VCU, remote diagnostic system, hotel load for WAP-7 locomotives, Alternate Drive Gear system for WAP-5 locomotives etc. alongwith 3-D modeling (3-phase locomotive) have been completed.
- Apart from above, C-D&D is also deeply involved with reliability improvement of IGBT based converters on 3-phase locomotives for which continuous coordination is required with zonal Railways and IGBT manufacturers.
- Further, to supplement the production capacity of CLW, an ancillary unit has also been set up at Dankuni for manufacturing of three phase locomotives. Thus, CLW alongwith Dankuni shall be major hub to manufacture new generation electric locomotives. This will add to the responsibility of C-D&D in terms of technology evaluation and assimilation.
- C-D&D is also presently involved in setting up Centre of Excellence at CLW for design, development and evaluation of advanced technology system for electric locomotives. This will enable CLW not only to achieve excellence in locomotive technology for meeting Indian Railways needs but also enable CLW to export electric rolling stock of different designs.
- C-D&D is, also, the administrator of 3-phase locomotive software and carries out modifications as required by user railways. This needs extensive study and field trials before regular release of the software.